Wednesday, November 30, 2011

AUSSIE BURGERS

We arrive at Australia...and boy! Are my arms tired! Sorry...

I decided that I wanted something a little less time intensive tonight, so I went with Aussie burgers. In Australia, grilling is a big deal. Also, sheep are plentiful. All the lamb I purchase was imported from Australia.

Pineapple is also plentiful in Australia, which is lucky for us, because nothing makes a hamburger fun like a slice of pineapple.

Here's our grocery list: ketchup, mayonnaise, Asian chili paste ( I keep Sambal Oelek on hand. Lucky me...I live near a large Asian Market.), a pound and a half of ground beef (I use extra lean), kaiser rolls, pineapple rings (I used canned), vegetable oil, eggs and pickled beets.

You can grill these outside. Since my grill is rusted out, and I haven't purchased a new one yet, I used the broiler in my oven. Since we are going to grill the burgers for a short period of time, it is best to get the sauce ready before hand. For this, combine a quarter cup of ketchup, a quarter cup of mayonnaise and a teaspoon of Asian Chile paste.

Mix a teaspoon of salt and half a teaspoon of pepper with the beef. You have to use your hands to kneed this for a few minutes to keep all the salt or pepper from concentrating in one patty. A pound and a half can be formed into 4 good sized patties.

The kaiser rolls are split and toasted.The pineapple rings are patted dry, and brushed with olive oil.

If you are grilling, oil the rack. If you are broiling, cover a cookie sheet with foil, and spray with Pam. Once it gets hot, broil the patties and pineapple rings about 4 minutes , turning once. This will depend on how you like your meat done. I am in the habit of eating raw beef, so 2 minutes on each side is plenty. Many need their meat cooked more. Also, you want the pineapple rings to glaze.

Fry one egg for each burger.

Assemble the burgers by spreading the sauce on each roll, then putting down the burger, a pineapple ring, beets, and egg. If you want, you can also add lettuce and tomato. I did not.

This burger is going to be large, messy, and fun to eat. Oh yeah...it's also delicious!!

Bon Appetit, Mates!

Photobucket

No comments: