Monday, November 28, 2011

ARUBA CHICKEN

I just discovered the best way to make chicken...ever! When you try it, you will know that is no hyperbole.

This stop in my World Kitchen Domination is Aruba. You may remember that I already stopped in Aruba, but was very dissatisfied with the results. The shame finally overcame me, and I went back. Man! Am I glad I did!

First, I used a pound and a half of chicken leg cutlets. I also diced half a pound of pork butt. I sliced a sweet onion, and sauteed it with some olive oil in my dutch oven. Then, I added the chicken and pork butt. I added the chicken one piece at a time, so that I browned each side first. I had to add a little extra oil with each piece. I then added a cup of water, an 8 ounce can of tomato paste, and half a cup of shredded coconut.

Of course...what's life without a little spice? In goes half a teaspoon of salt, some crushed red pepper, 4 whole cloves, half a teaspoon of thyme, and a bay leaf. This was brought to a boil. Lower to a simmer for 15 minutes. I stirred it every five minutes, mainly as an excuse to taste the sauce. I also thinly sliced a yam. This was added after 15 minutes. I put a lid on it, and relaxed for 40 minutes, losing...I mean playing a little online chess. Then, I sliced a couple of bananas, and added them. Then, 4 sliced green onions. After 5 minutes, the chicken was ready to enjoy.

The spiced, tomato paste, and sweetness from the fruit threw this chicken into hyper drive...and my taste buds followed!! This one is a keeper.

No comments: