Tuesday, November 1, 2011

AMERICAN SAMOA...WHERE IS MY LOIN CLOTH?

Looking at the cuisine has taught me 2 things...they eat a LOT of pigs and seafood; and, I don't have the legs to wear a loin cloth. So, since I do not want to spoil any appetites, I will NOT post proof of the latter.

I actually used ground beef to make a Samoan dish. I stuffed 2 green papayas with ground beef. I found the 2 greenest papayas I could. These are sliced in half, from top to bottom. Using a spoon, I scoop out the seeds.

In a bowl I mix a pound of extra lean ground beef, 1 chopped onion, 1/2 cup of bread crumbs, 2 whole eggs, and 2 tablespoons of milk. Divide this, and stuff the papaya halves. The oven is preheated to 350, the halves covered with foil and baked for 45 minutes. Take off the foil, and bake an additional 15 minutes.

Being island food, I made banana fritters for desert. Combine 1 and 3/4 cups of all purpose flour, 2/3 cup white sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 ripe banana, squished using a potato masher, and 1 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract. All of this is is mixed well.

Now, get a pot that is rather deep, and put about 3 cups of cooking oil in it. You want to spoon in about a tablespoon at a time, using one spoon to hold the mixture, and another to push it off into the hot oil. They need to be able to first sink, and then float. When they float, give them a minute or so more to really get a golden brown color. Then, turn them, over and cook another couple of minutes. if you want, you can roll these in powdered sugar. I did not.

It was storming and cold outside; but, inside, it was Island fun!

Photobucket

STUFFED GREEN PAPAYAS:

2 Green Papayas, split and seeded
1 Pound Ground Beef (extra lean)
1 Medium Onion, chopped
1/2 Cup Bread Crumbs (plain)
2 Whole Eggs
2 tablespoons Milk

No comments: