Thursday, November 3, 2011

Angola...

This meal comes straight from the Mother Land. Bordered by the Atlantic Ocean, Angolan cuisine features fish, seafood, indigenous vegetables and imports from Portugal, as Angola was once a Portuguese province until she won her independence in 1975. Things have been unstable ever since. The one constant, however, is good eats. I decided upon the fish.

Fish calulu calls for dried, salted fish. I have trouble with overly salted food, so I left that out. The result was more of a fish stew. I purchased a pound of cod, and cut it into four pieces. I did marinate this in a sea salt. No salt can be bland in such dishes. I also squeezed the juice of 1 lemon on the fish, and added 3 cloves of garlic.

While the above fish was marinating, I sliced 1 onion, 1 zucchini, 3 ripe tomatoes, 1 hot chili, and okra. I also washed off 1 bunch of collard greens. It is very important to remember to blanch the collards. I forgot this step, and the result was tough, chewy greens. They still tasted good, but dominated the dish too much. I would also recommend using only half a bunch of collards...maybe less. Once the fish are ready (after 20 minutes of setting), take a large pot, and layer the fish, onions, zucchini, tomatoes, okra and collards. On top of this I put the chopped chili, and poured in some canola oil. Put on a lid and simmer for about an hour. About half way through, I turned the heat up just a smidgen. The result was a nice fish stew, without too much liquid. Like I said, it could have done with half the collards.

All in all, I enjoyed my culinary visit to this ancient continent, yet young country. Adeus!

Photobucket

ANGOLAN FISH STEW:

1 Pound Fish
1 Onion Sliced
3 Ripe Tomatoes Sliced
1 Hot Chili chopped
Okra...1/2 to 3/4 pound
3 0r 4 Large Whole Collard Leaves Blanched
3 garlic Cloves Minced

No comments: