Monday, November 7, 2011

ANTARCTICA...BRAIN FREEZE!

Well, next on my list of countries is Antarctica. Know what the national food is in Antarctica? Nothing! There is no food native to Antarctica that is legal. All the wildlife is protected.

There are, however, always aliens on the ultimate tundra. At any given time, there are between 2000 and 5000 researchers who take advantage of the nearly permanent night down under. They bring with them what food they can, either frozen or dried. There are also hydroponic gardens and food brought in from New Zealand. I bet you did not know there were penguins on new Zealand, did you? You did? Okay...never mind then. Obviously, New Zealand and Antarctica were once part of a greater land mass many years ago.

I did what any good Antarctic research person would do. I opened my refrigerator to see what I could do. We were in dire need of comfort food, so I pulled out a bag of spinach and some shiitake mushrooms. I pulled the stems off the mushrooms, rinsed the spinach, then put a skillet over high heat. A little olive oil in the pan, and in goes the spinach. The mushrooms are added. Some soy sauce and sesame oil for flavor, and hot chili flakes, and there is instant comfort in 2 or 3 minutes. There was also some nice mixed olives available, as well as cheese and crackers. Thanks to the crock pot, it was split pea soup with a smoked ham shaft and left over bacon for the next day. Potatoes and onions, along with 4 cups of beef broth and a cup of water were added.

All in all, I think I survived the cold, isolation, and randy seals rather well...but I would NOT want to live there!

Photobucket

No comments: