Monday, December 12, 2011

AUSTRIAN GOULASH

Today's stop in my quest for World Kitchen Domination is Austria. Austria is a Central European country that is located in the Alps. Mountainous, cold, and home of many a classical musician. Austria boasts to being a neutral country, politically. It does not, however, boast about Arnold Schwarzenegger.

There is a lot to choose from in Austrian cuisine, especially if you like strudels. I decided to go with a hearty goulash. I do not have to look the word up in the dictionary to know that "goulash" is a German word that translates, roughly, "so good, you will want to smack your mama"...it loses something in translation. The good thing about goulash is that you can use lesser than expensive meat.

To make the goulash, I got out my trusty dutch oven. It just seemed appropriate. In goes some olive oil. Get 2 pounds of stew beef cubes. Put these in the dutch oven, or large skillet, and brown. Now cut up a couple of large sweet onions. These are added to the pot, along with some Hungarian paprika...about 2 tablespoons. Make sure you use Hungarian paprika, as it is hotter than regular paprika. I used an 8 ounce can of tomato paste. You may decide to use less; but, make sure you use at least 2 tablespoons. I put in 2 cups of water. You can use more or less without harm. Stir this all well, and add salt and pepper to taste. I always use kosher salt, but not too much. Now for the fun stuff. Crush a couple of garlic cloves and add. You can also use jarred minced garlic. Add a teaspoon of caraway seeds and marjoram. By the way...feel free to use chicken broth too. Zest the skin of 1/4 of a lemon. I simply cut the rind into small cubes. Of course, throw in a couple of bay leaves.

Boil, and turn the heat down to medium low. You can cook this for anywhere between one and two hours. After a certain point, the beef will not get any more tender, so an hour and a half is really enough.

I have only one thing to say about Austrian Goulash being on my table..."It'll be baaack".

AUSTRIAN GOULASH:

3 oz. vegetable oil
2 lbs. lean beef cubes
2 large onions, chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons Hungarian Paprika
grated skin of ¼ lemon
1 teaspoon ground caraway seeds
1 teaspoon fresh chopped garlic
1 teaspoon marjoram
2 bay leafs
salt and pepper to taste
1 pint chicken stock or water

2 comments:

Psyche said...

I'm printing out this one to try!

Roho the Rooster said...

Wonderful, Psyche! I hope you enjoy it :-)