Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Azerbaijan: Meatballs and Pilaf

Today's stop is the Eurasian country of Azerbaijan. This country, which has no official religion, is the most liberal among Muslim nations. I decided to make meatballs and pilaf to represent this country.

To make the meatballs, I mixed half a pound of lean ground beef with half a pound of ground lamb. Just knead it together for several minutes. I bought a bunch of fresh dill and a bunch of cilantro. Half the of both was finely chopped and mixed in with the meat. I also put one egg in the mixture. I did not use any measuring spoons for the spices. I just made sure they were blended evenly. These were cinnamon, allspice, cumin and turmeric. I then chopped half a sweet onion and mixed it all together, kneading for a few more minutes. These were broiled on an oil cooking sheet.

The pilaf was made by boiling together a cup and a half of chicken broth, a cup of basmati rice, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of butter, half a sweet onion, chopped, the rest of the dill and cilantro, chopped, and the same spices as used in the meat. I also threw in some sea salt. let this boil a few minutes, and simmer until the rice is done.

That's it! Nothing fancy...just a nice bed of rice with a couple of tasty meatballs on top.


No comments: