Wednesday, February 8, 2012

BELGIUM: MEAT AND POTATOES THAT GO TO 11!!

I was so looking forward to my stop in Belgium...and I was not disappointed! Belgium cuisine is French cuisine; but without the stingy portions. It is rich deliciousness that goes to Eleven! Bon Appetit!

I went with the Entrecote Bordelaise...Steak in Red Wine with Shallots, Frites...Belgium Fries. I went ahead and bought two good rib steaks, at a little over ten dollars a pound. It was well worth it. They were salt and peppered on each side. I sauteed the steaks in three and a half tablespoons of butter...between two and three minutes per side. Then, I set the steaks aside, so I could prepare the wine sauce. I used the same pan to cook 2 shallots that were diced. These are are stirred periodically until they just start turning brown.

Now, add half a cup of red wine, and stir it around a bit. I used a dry red wine. Next, I put in a cup of beef broth, and stirred to blend the flavors. This was simmered for five minutes. You can simmer it longer, depending on how reduced you want your sauce. I was fine to use a runnier sauce, so five minutes was sufficient. Besides, the smell was making me feel like I just couldn't wait any longer to dig in. After five minutes, I cut another three and a half tablespoons of butter into patties, and melted one at a time in the sauce. Lastly, I put in 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley. I had put each steak on a separate plate. Now, I sliced each into several strips across the grain, and divided the sauce between the two. I put the sauce on the steaks, and allowed the excess to fill the bottom of the plates. I then piled on the fries that I had made by thinly slicing two large baking potatoes, and deep frying them, in small batches, until they were a brown a little darker than golden, and crispy. They were great soaked in the sauce!

That's it! Meat and potatoes Belgium style, which is actually French style, but with a lot more! Enjoy!

Entrecote Bordelaise:

2 good Steaks
7 tablespoons Butter
2 Shallots finely chopped
1/2 cup Red Wine
1 cup Beef Stock
1 tablespoons fresh Parsley chopped
salt
black pepper



No comments: