Tuesday, January 31, 2012

BANGLADESH...GETTING CURRIED AWAY!

My next stop in my quest for global gastronomic domination was Bangladesh. I know what you are thinking...isn't Bangladesh pretty much like India. Not so fast my fez wearing friend. The food in Bangladesh is like Indian food...but the curry goes to ELEVEN! Inm fact,the most popular food in Bangladesh is curried chicken, which I made last week. What I want to talk about now is curried salmon.

First I put the juice of one lemon mixed with a 2 teaspoons of lemon, and marinated the salmon for 15 or 20 minutes, which gave me time to gather the spices, and chop a few things...like the onion and garlic. I heated up some vegetable oil in a skillet, and added one small chopped onion, about an inch of ginger root peeled and sliced, and two crushed cloves of garlic. In a few minutes, the onions were soft.

To the above, I added a tablespoon of cumin, a teaspoon of coriander seeds, a quarter teaspoon of chili powder, a can of stewed tomatoes and half a cup of vegetable stock. After thins is stirred together, I added the salmon, along with the marinade, into the skillet and cooked on medium for about 15 minutes. Before serving, i topped with a handful of fresh, chopped cilantro.

My side dish was rice. I While I was cooking a cup of basmati rice in a cup and a half of water, in a skillet, over medium heat, I heated some vegetable oil. I added one small chopped onion, 3 medium carrots sliced, a bay leaf, one ground cinnamon stick, 2 whole cloves, 4 black peppercorns, 2 tablespoons of butter and some kosher salt. When the rice was finished, I mixed it with the other ingredients in the skillet, and cooked, on low, for about 15 minutes.

I have to tell you...if that meal is even a little of what one can experience in Bangladesh, i would certainly be curried away there! Enjoy!

No comments: