Thursday, May 2, 2013

Cameroon Chicken

Okay...it's been a while. One of the reasons is that there has been a major change in the Chicken Coop. My wife and I have moved toward a gluten free, low carb diet. This has meant some catching up with the learning curve. Below is an example of a dish made famous in Cameroon, with some tweaks to make it Paleo friendly. It is known as Poulet DG. Poulet is chicken; and DG stands for "Director General". This African dish was once reserved for dignitaries. Now, it is enjoyed by the rank and file.

I used 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Traditionally, a whole chicken is used. From the produce department, I used 3 tomatoes, 3 ripe plantains...and I mean RIPE! They were were soft, yellow, with a few black spots. This is the major source of sweet goodness that goes oh so well with chicken. 1 small onion, three bell peppers. I used red, orange and yellow. I tend to stay away from green bell peppers. I chopped up a bunch of organic carrots, and some cilantro.

I cut the chicken into bite sized pieces, and browned it in some coconut oil. Then I added all the chopped veggies, and a couple of teaspoons of minced garlic. After a few minutes of softening the vegetables, I added a couple of cups of chicken broth. Add salt and pepper to taste, simmer for 20 minutes, and we had a dinner so good, it would make you want to slap your mamma, yes it would

Ingrediants: (serves 4; or, less, with left overs)

2 lbs Chicken
3 Tomatoes, chopped
3 ripe Plantains, sliced
1 small Onion,diced
3 Sweet Peppers, sliced
5 Carrots, sliced
2 teaspoons Minced garlic
chopped Cilantro
2 cups Chicken Stock
Black Pepper
Salt
Coconut Oil


No comments: